- After the first fermentation, cap the water kefir without adding any juice. After two days, put in fridge and add vanilla extract before drinking to make Cream soda.
- Adding lemon and ginger slices after the first fermentation tastes like Ginger Ale.
- Doing the second fermentation add slices of fresh or frozen fruit for a fizzy fruit flavored soda.
- Adding raisins or prune juice for the second fermentation tastes like Dr. Pepper.
- Add 1/4 cup of frozen concentrated juice after the first fermentation and mix with iced herbal tea for a carbonated fruity iced tea drink.
Here is a great little book with lots of beautiful pictures and delicious recipes. I learned a lot about fermentation and got very inspired to try new recipes. How to Make Probiotic Drinks for a Raw Food Diet: Kefir, Kombucha, Ginger Beer, and Naturally Fermented Ciders, Sodas, and Smoothies. If you really want to go beyond making fermented drinks, this is the book to get you started.
Please be careful not to allow metal to come in contact with your kefir grains since metal is reactive and may kill your grains. I use these plastic storage caps on all my fermented foods.